(Feel free to offer feedback or suggest more!)
My list of ideas so far, that I’ve either been told about or dreamed up:
- Enable voting for more than one option, so that votes are not split between two similar positions, but can be given to both.
- Vote only for individual laws (and policies?), never for people.
- If some people think this is too much work, then perhaps they could choose (yes, choose, not vote for) a representative (which could be an individual or a group) who will vote for them. This representative’s vote would count for as many people as they represent.
- Proportional Representation, so that everyone’s vote counts regardless of who their neighbors vote for. I think the NDP in Canada are currently pushing for this ^^
- Draw one (or a small odd number, like 13) ballots from all ballots cast. Use this draw to pick a winner. I forget what benefits this was supposed to have, but it gives close ties a more even chance of winning. Voter supression, and other methods of manipulating close ties, would be less effective. Over time, all closely tied parties would have won about an equal number of times.